Wednesday, July 22, 2009

My starting points...

in terms of "communication,organisational theory and strategic planning" are indicative of my past work experiences. As a sales consultant I learned about body language and communication skills in terms of responding to various personalities and the use of phone conversations,emails to communicate with clients. I received training in giving positive feedback and dealing with conflict and difficult personalities as classroom teacher. These principles are relevant and could be applied in a library setting to deal with issues with students,staff or parents. I would welcome the opportunity to learn more about building positive relationships and cohesion amongst a team of library staff. I particularly liked Gilman's (2007) suggestions in "The Four habits of Highly Effective Librarians'that higlights the need for openness, responsiveness and advocates the use of an open forum to discuss school issues. My recent experience of using forums,blogs and Oztl -net have made me aware of the great value of the sharing and exchanging ideas and information with professional colleagues.
I have had little training in terms of strategic planning in education.However in my current role at a Catholic primary school,I am experiencing the implementaion of a whole school "Action Plan" to improve teaching & learning through the use of the inquiry approach,leadership & organisation health,student wellbeing and to strengthen faith and a sense of community.
I had training and experience in the sales and marketing field where I was responsible for the achievement of sales targets within my territory.In this role I worked with a team of sales and admin staff to plan and co-ordinate mailouts,sales offers,marketing events and product training sessions to achieve our goals.
In terms of organizational theory, I participated in a "Corporate Alignment Process" training program to define company goals ,share personal goals and to plan strategies to achieve both sets of objectives as a team. My readings of the Fullan text are prompting me to consider these aspects of leadership from a more objective point of view.

No comments:

Post a Comment