Sunday, June 22, 2014

2014 Evolving Perspectives

2014 Three years has passed since I completed my librarianship studies at Charles Sturt University and my life has changed greatly in that time, both on a personal level and a professional level.
Since my graduation I have had some very good professional experiences working in secondary school libraries of private schools. This has given me insight into various styles of leadership, methods of  library management, school library practices and the issues faced in educational settings in information management.

As a graduate who did not have work in the field prior to studying the Teacher Librarianship course, I have found it more difficult than I had anticipated to gain on - going employment in the profession.
I was also a mature age student and it has been suggested to me that this may be a contributing factor.
I have had a number of short term contract / casual positions which have all been rewarding. My quest for employment has made me aware of the range of library positions and how greatly those roles can vary in different organisations and educational institutions. I think securing employment in the field is also a matter of finding the right position that matches your experience and skills at the right time. I know that my broad range of work experiences as teacher, sales & marketing consultant in the publishing industry and librarian have enabled me to develop a strong range of professional skills that would be valuable in many teacher librarian positions. My studies have given me the professional skills that are valuable in the evolving work environment of contemporary libraries.
I still believe that the everything will fall into place and the right position will come up in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment