Wednesday, June 3, 2009

More reflections: the TL and information literacy

Prior to my studies in this course, I was unaware of the term “information literacy” and the use of “information processes’ as a framework for the development of these skills.Having read a range of literature on these topics,the processes I experienced myself whilst preparing my assignments,have given me greater insight into the value of these concepts and models in the role of the TL. The rapid advances in technological developments have significantly affected the role of the TL since my earlier experiences in primary school libraries. My perception of my role as a TL has been extended to incorporate instructional programs that foster information literacy and I have found many resources for my portfolio that can assist me to implement them across the curriculum.
I have broadened my outlook to view the bigger picture of the whole school focus. From this perspective I can see the need for the TL to initiate collaborative planning, teaching and evaluation of units of work based on curriculum and information literacy outcomes. This also makes it more important for the TL to participate on key committees that implement curriculum policies and play a leadership role in fostering collaborative partnerships with the Principal, teachers and senior administrators.
Having reached this point in my learning journey,I now feel apprehensive about how I could achieve the broad range of professional goals that I now have for myself, as a teacher librarian. The readings of the last modules on management, conflict resolution (Sanders, 2004) and “the habits of highly effective people(Covey,1990) and teacher librarians.(Gilman, 2007) have given me some practical strategies that I value and that will use to facilitate my personal development into a “highly effective teacher librarian”.

No comments:

Post a Comment